2009-02-19

Shuffling the Deck

I'm not sure if I've ever done this before without interruptions prior, but doing fifty cards a day, I've come to the end of my deck, which is about two hundred twenty cards or so. In going through the deck over the last few days, I've found a few duplicate words that don't need to be in there. Also, the end of the deck is a lot. of phrases. I think my plan for tonight is to spend some time working on the cards themselves. There are some that I botched when I was making them. A few of my common mistakes are:

  • forgot to appropriately dot or otherwise complete Arabic letters (they dot a lot of their letters, and whether the dot is on the top or the bottom alters the identity of the letter and thus the word)
  • forgot to completely write the answer on the back (missing either the pronunciation or the translation)
  • duplicate words - only a few, but they're annoying

    The other thing that I've done is use phrases, like أمير المؤمنين (Amir al Muminin, "Commander of the Faithful," a title used by caliphs and wankers like Taliban leader Mullah Omar), or نحن جند لله جند الوطن (Nahnu jund Allah wa jund al lutan, "We are the army of God and the army of our land," the national motto of Sudan), and also verses out of the Bible. I think that one of my goals of switching up some of the cards is going to be to top load words, and slide some of the phrases (mainly the Bible verses, which are long and have a lot of words that I don't yet know at all) to the back of the deck. This whole process might actually take a couple of days, but that's okay because making and correcting the cards themselves is actually a pretty good form of studying.

    One of my goals to accomplish this month is to get caught up on five or six pages worth of phrases and words that I've been meaning to get on note cards for nearly a year now, so I'll probably spend a couple of days doing that, too. Part of my problems is that I tend to like doing a project all at once, so if I can't do that, I tend to put it off. Part of this whole project of Chops' is spacing things out over an extended period of time so that it's actually useful progress, instead of just a one shot deal. Realizing that and trying to apply it is helpful, but it's still time-consuming. Also, my kitchen table is a mess, so that's discouraged me, but I ought to be able to fix that with a spare ten minutes or so.

    So, I've done fifty flash cards every morning this week, and yesterday (and maybe the day before?) I did them both in the morning and in the evening, so I think I'm actually back on track from my vacation. This morning I did however many I had from #201 on. Tonight will be working on cards. There's your update from The Fly.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment