2009-02-26

New Toy

Knife draw x 60, Grand Total: 1620

That's it. Nothing fancy. 1-40 were just stand and draw. 41-50 had me stepping forward with a vertical elbow shield while drawing, and the last 10 had me stepping back with a horizontal elbow shield while drawing. I think I'm going to stop training the horizontal shield. It's got the advantage of covering my neck and both sides of my jaw, but I lose a lot of visibility. Not only that, but there's the danger that my left hand gets trapped on the right side of my body, which makes stopping any incoming rights a little more difficult. There's one specific horizontal elbow technique that I'm not getting rid of, but that's more of a "Kali empty hands parlor trick" type technique anyway. I'm going to stick with a vertical shield or a Dog Catcher/Kali Fence type of movement for the left hand.

In other news, I bought a new pocket knife. This is a replacement for my current utility pocket knife (not my stabby-stabby knife - at this point the only thing I can think of that would make me get rid of my Delica would be a P'Kal), a Baladeo ECO031, which I seem to recall getting through the REI outlet for something like $8. A decent cheap knife is great to have around, but it's a little too bulky in my pocket. Thus, I bought a Boker Subcom, which set me back $18 on Ebay. I've heard nothing but rave reviews for the Subcom, so I can't wait until it gets here.

2 comments:

  1. Snell, thought I'd check in on ya and your progress. Up to 1620 I see. Great job, man. Keep digging!! I'm having an epic failure on my 10K project. LMAO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not too late to get your ass in gear.

    It's kind of annoying to me that I ended up taking most of last week off because of sickness in the house. If I hadn't, I'd almost be at 2k reps.

    ReplyDelete