2009-05-05

Flash Card Mania

My wrist hurts, because I just spent the last two hours (or more?) making seventy some-odd flash cards, mainly from this list. Also, since my last post (I think?), I downloaded the entire library of Language Survival Kits from the DLI website I'd mentioned:

  • Arabic - Egyptian
  • Arabic - Gulf/Emirati
  • Arabic - Iraqi
  • Arabic - Moroccan
  • Arabic - Sudanese
  • Arabic - Syrian
  • Arabic - Tunisian
  • Azeri/Azerbaijani
  • Dari
  • French
  • Hebrew
  • Kurdish - Kurmanje
  • Kurdish - Sorani
  • Pashto - Afghan
  • Persian - Iranian
  • Pushtu - Peshawari
  • Urdu

    I decided to forego Uzbek since it's not written in Arabic/Persian letters in the guide. So, the flash cards I've been meaning to make for months? They're done. And that huge cache of regional Arabic language survival guides? I have them archived. Unfortunately, it's going to take some trickery (and maybe some help from Chops?) to get Windows Media Player to recognize them for synchronization onto my mp3 player, but that ought to be a minor issue. Besides, the real value is in the printed material, which can be used to make some more flash cards.

    Now that all of those flash cards are made, the next step is to get back into regular flash card usage in the mornings and evenings - tomorrow, maybe? - to reinforce new vocabulary. The other element to introduce is the actual textbook exercises, which I may start on Thursday. I'm going to try to do one or two lessons per week. There are thirty lessons in the book, which I think is the equivalent of two years worth of instruction.

    For now, though, I'm going to bed. I may have a secondary project like Chops' starting up tomorrow morning, if I can drag my ass out of bed early enough.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment