2011-07-27

Getting back on track...

I've managed to make it up and make it to the gym the last three mornings in a row, well on the way to becoming an actual habit. I've tried this a few times before and I always go after it pretty hard for the first few days and then make some excuse to take a day off...then another one...then another one. I've done the same with food. Make good choices for a day or two and then "reward" myself right up to a shocking and unacceptable weight. I think the problem with my approach in the past has been that I try to do too much to start so I get tired of it really quickly. I do this because I'm results driven and impatient. If I don't see a change within a few days I'm ready to throw my hands up, say "What's the point", park my ass in front of the TV and chase a chocolate eclair with a margarita. This time it has to be different.

I gave myself a week to mentally prepare and to start to incorporate better health in to my daily life. I've subscribed to a few mailing lists and have actually been reading the things that I get from them. I took the time to accept the fact that I may not see immediate results and that I needed to start slowly to keep from burning out. I started Monday with 40 minutes of light cardio. Tuesday was light weights for the upper body. Today was another light cardio session. It seems kind of weak, but it's an immeasurable improvement over what life was like for me last week. Baby steps. I don't want this to be something I do temporarily, like means to an end. I want to make permanent changes to the way that I live my life in general. Hopefully taking the time to establish all of this and prepare myself for a slow transition that will make for a healthier me and a better quality of life. I like that the thought of that quite a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment